Here at Hooray Day, we love to share all kinds of tips, tricks and hacks so that you can make the most of your precious time, and say Hooray to your special day!
Sprinkles are a great way to add colour and fun to your party spread. Of course fairy bread is an Aussie classic, but there are so many other easy ways to use them!
Check out our top ideas for making the most out of sprinkles below!
1. Get dipping! Make even the most boring store bought items look amazing by dipping them in melted chocolate and dusting over some sprinkles. Great options include cookies (plain or sandwich cookies such as Oreos), pretzels, wafers, marshmallows, strawberries or ice cream cones. Simply melt the chocolate in the microwave, dunk one edge of your item of choice into the chocolate, carefully lay on baking paper and get sprinkling! Create an eclectic look by using a combination of white and milk or dark chocolate.
2. Mix them in! We all know that icing and sprinkles go hand in hand, but if you’re baking your own cakes or biscuits, another option is mix your sprinkles through the batter at the last minute to create an extra colourful treat!
3. Go deluxe You can pick up great sprinkles at your local supermarket, but if you’re prepared to venture to your local baking or craft store, or have a look online, there is a world of extra gorgeous sprinkles out there! Pastel confetti, edible glitter, delicate stars, unicorn mixes colours – the varieties are endless. Sprinkles are so versatile and easy to use that they’re often all you need to decorate your food table!
4. Dress up your drinks table! Make even boring milk look incredible by decorating the rims of paper cups or glass milk bottles with sprinkles. Melt some chocolate or make a simple sugar syrup, carefully dip the rims of your cups into it, then press them quickly into a plate of sprinkles. Voila!
5. Make a beautiful DIY food station DIY food stations are all the rage, and we just love them! Who wouldn’t want to kill two birds with one stone by feeding and entertaining little guests all in one go? If you’re thinking of creating a sweet station, whether it’s cupcake decorating or a sundae bar, sprinkles are a must! Grab a few types and set them out in separate bowls or containers with spoons so that guests can help themselves. Alternatively, pick up a few paint palettes from your local two dollar store, and create individual decorating plates by placing a cupcake (or donut, or cookie …) in the middle and different sprinkles or small lollies in each of the paint sections.
6. Use around food as well as on! Sprinkles don’t necessarily have to go on your food …. they also look amazing scattered around it. Try scattering a few in between sweet items like cookies and cakes. They can really lift the look of a plain white plate or platter. Go one step further by pouring a whole lot onto a plate or tray and then serve your food on a bed of beautiful rainbow coloured sprinkles!
7. Create a twist on an old favourite! Let’s face it – even plain old fairy bread is pretty fantastic! But if you want to improve on the classic party food, try using cookie cutters to make your bread into cute shapes that match your theme, or alternatively roll whole pieces of fairy bread and gently cut the roll into slices, similar to a jam roll or pieces of sushi.
8. Make your healthy snacks more tempting! A simple dash of colour and sparkle may be all you need to get your little guests asking for second, third and fourth serves of healthy snacks. A couple of our top ideas are to top slices of apple with cream cheese plus a dusting of sprinkles, or serve rounds of banana topped with peanut butter and then a few sprinkles or mini choc chips to finish.
9. Customise your cake – If you’re looking for a way to make a birthday cake look extra special with minimum effort and decorating skill required – look no further than the humble sprinkle! It’s super easy to add a number or letter to the top of an iced cake using either a cookie cutter if you can find one, or some baking paper cut to size as a stencil. Gently pour and press your sprinkles into the shape of the number and there you go!
10. Let them take the fun home! If you’ve used sprinkles to help theme or decorate your party, packaging up some small bags of mixed sprinkles for your guests to take home can be a really lovely addition or alternative to loot bags.
And one for the big kids! Did you know that edible glitter and lots of other types of sprinkles actually look amazing in champagne? The combination of bubbles and sparkles is pretty spectacular and why shouldn’t we get in on the sprinkle action?
A Party Planning Guide and Checklist comes with every Hooray Day Party Kit. It covers the basics from planning your party spread to party games. It’s like having a party planner in your pocket!